A few years ago I blogged about how I setup Vim on a shared web host. I needed to do this again today; but with a bit more control as to the features that were compiled:


wget ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unix/vim-7.3.tar.bz2
tar -vjxf vim-7.3.tar.bz2
cd vim73
./configure --prefix="$HOME/local" \
            --with-features=huge \
            --enable-gui=no \
            --with-tlib=ncurses \
            --disable-nls \
            --enable-multibyte \
            --enable-perlinterp \
            --enable-pythoninterp \

make install

Make sure you have $HOME/local/bin in your PATH:

export PATH="$HOME/local/bin:$PATH"

Something of interest I ran into: there are some X libraries installed on the host this was deployed to. Without --enable-gui=no, this caused Vim to be compiled with gui features. This in turn, cause has('gui') to return 1 rather than 0 as it should have.